Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Recapping Northern Ireland


Well after dinner with Scott and Fi, we sat and just talked about life and the trip. Scott is the founder of Abaana and Fi is his wife. A little later the chairman of the board for Abaana UK came over to meet us and talk. The night ended earlier as none of us could keep our eyes open. I think they got tired of talking to me and I wouldn’t answer. As soon as Ryan and I reached our house we went to straight to bed. I slept like a rock. The next morning Scott fixed a traditional breakfast called an ulster fry, I think that is what he was saying. It was good, but was full of cholesterol. Amanda, who runs the Abaana office, gave talks on culture and something else. I’m not sure because I feel asleep. Afterwards, Scott talked with us about programs we would like to work on. We finished up around 2, had some lunch, and then headed out to the cultural museum. It was fun just to walk around as it was all outside. The weather was wonderful. For dinner we ate with a former Abaana employee, and just enjoyed listening to her and her friends talk. Wednesday morning Amanda led sessions on safety and medical. Then we finished up with Scott on programming. We are going to be busy and have some great direction on what to do. Our afternoon was with Scott. We headed out to the Giants Causeway, one of the natural wonders of the world. We took the scenic route along the coast. I just had to hold all my excitement in or we would have never made it. The scenery was gorgeous. Rocks, cliffs, green pastures, sheep, cows, quaint little villages, old men, young kids, and blue skies were all around. Soon we reached the rope bridge but it was closed so we hurried down the coast a little more to Giant’s Causeway. I wasn’t sure what this was going to be and I really can’t describe the rocks you will just have to look at a picture. Anyway being on the sea below the cliffs was exciting enough for me. We just hung out and relax until the sun set. We then headed to the next town for traditional fish and chips in a box. The fish was bigger than the tip of my fingers to the end of my elbow. Throw some salt and vinegar all over it and we were Irish. We even went to eat it with the old men sitting on benches in front of the church, but they got up when they saw the Americans coming. And thus ends of adventures in Northern Ireland. Today has really been getting up and catching our flight back to London. Then it’s on to Uganda. Check ya then.

No comments:

Post a Comment