Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Beginning

It's early in Sierra Leone, which makes it late in the US. I'm up too early again. Probably because I have so many thoughts that race through my head every moment I am awake here. In about two hours I will be sitting in front of the kids as they have a good bye ceremony for me. Yep, 6 weeks have come and gone. Some days it seems like time has just flown by and others it seems like I have been here forever. People in the states keep asking me if I'm sad. I take offense to that question most days. Yes, I am sad. A couple of years ago I realized that living in America was not my favorite thing. Each day there I am faced with stuff that angers me and what I believe God wants FROM his people. Each day in Sierra Leone angers me too, but it's because I don't think this is what God wants FOR his people. I know that when I get back people will not understand. They don't want to. No one likes to be convicted. We all would prefer to think we are doing our part to help the world.

This week as I have been preparing to leave I have had the opportunity to sit down and have long discussions about life with some of the staff and some of the kids. I feel like I am apologizing for what America is. Their view of America is so inflated. If they just knew how selfish we are, including myself. I found myself having to go back to a staff member and apologize because I said I wasn't rich. We want to be rich but not called it because it kind of makes you a snob. Here I was telling someone who will make less this month than I will make this day that I am not rich. Maybe I am a snob.

Well, off of that and on to better things, leaving! No I am not happy to go, but I am OK with it because I know "I de cum back." I smile each day when the things I have taught them are repeated to me. Even when It means I have to share my flavor-ice with all the guys because Sorie remembers "Uncle you said, God says if we have two we should give the other away." as he smiles and opens his mouth waiting for me to pour so "sweet" in. Well it may not be a direct quote from Jesus or even from me but they get it and they laugh. I will miss the laughs from a bunch of orphans filled with the joy of the Lord. I am ready to come home and start something new. My life is different of course, but it's more than that. God has allowed me to glimpse the difference than can be made. Now my job as his mouth piece is really just beginning. Today I hope to finish emptying out the stuff I don't want and allowing God's spirit to fill me with what I need to start over. It is the same message I will give the kids today as I leave. Remove the stuff that is stopping the spirit of God from filling your life and using you. It's time to go now. I leave with a smile knowing Jesus left his friends and he promised to return. He did it because he knew things were just beginning. I leave knowing I will be back and that my new life is just beginning too.

I pray today you choose2B the beginning of something great, something new, something Holy, something that changes the world. I tell my youth you don't have to change "the" world, just "a" world to make a difference. I am happy that mine has been changed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment