Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Storyteller

Jesus loved to tell stories. He knew people liked to hear them too. His parables were like TV in ancient times. I like to tell stories, also. Mine tend to be very long and drawn out though. Jesus used His to tell about the Kingdom of God, the place where God’s love, mercy, forgiveness, finances, and thoughts reign.
Today, I want to tell you a story about what I think the Kingdom of God is like, when I read Jesus stories. It is a story of coming home. It is the story of my day. I pray you will find God in the midst of it and see how he reigns today. Apologies for being long and drawn out.
It is mid morning before Osseh, Mohammed, Cari, Jessie, and I loaded up in the Pathfinder to go and pick up the newest addition to The Covering. All of us were really excited to go. However, riding through Freetown can always zap some excitement from you. The length of time it takes to get anywhere can be taxing on the fast paced American soul. After a brief stop in downtown, a stop for gas that included Red Bulls for Osseh and Jessie, Cokes for Mohammed and Cari, and fake Montain Dew for me, and a stop to air up the tires, we were headed out of Freetown. Things move much quicker on this side of Freetown, quicker means paved roads that allow you to go 40mph, if you can talk Osseh into it. We stopped by the offices of St George to pick up the social worker who had been working the case with Mohammed. Add one more full sized adult to the mix in the Pathfinder. Side note – *At this point I am happy to be comfortably riding with three in the back seat. Comfortably is a relative term considering what the front seat looks like at this moment. * Before you can blink an eye – well, if you were asleep that is – we were leaving the busy paved roads behind for the slower, unpaved, bumpy road to Grafton. Many people have a picture that is completely wrong of what much of Africa looks like. This is tropical Africa, during the rainy season I might add. Lush green hillsides are all around us. I was in Hawaii this January, but I think Sierra Leone has more of a tropical feel to it. After bounding our way through the first 1000 bumps on the country road we reached the center.
After finishing some paper work with Mohammed, the social worker disappeared into one of the building. As he emerged, he came out holding our new pride and joy, Mary. As Cari and Jessie held her in their arms, she gently cried and sucked her fingers. I looked at Mohammed and said, “Thanks!” I think a tear may have crept into his eye. He knew deep inside that this is why he does what he does as our social worker. Mary is believed to be about 4 ½. She probably weighs 10 pounds, if that. She has special needs. She is very malnourished. But boy, is she beautiful! I imagine the angels and God sit around and have these little moments all the time. Here is my son or daughter. They have special needs God says. They are malnourished. They are not much to behold. But, as he and the angles look at us, they proclaim, WOW, look how beautiful they are! Carri and Jessie took turns holding her on either side of me, as we bumped our way through the back road into Freetown. Funny quote of the day – after hitting each other after bump 2347 Jessie says, “Sorry.” Well, I thought it was funny. The whole way back, Cari and Jessie were each taking their turn, whispering things into Mary’s ears as she cried. Our attempt to get food in her was a complete bust, but hey we gave it a try. 5 hours after we left, we were pulling back into The Covering. Daniel, the house father, was out to meet us. So we introduced him to his newest child. As I walked ahead of the group to get to the nursery to film her entrance there, I told the kids who were not asleep, “Go meet your new sister.” They quickly jumped up and headed down the stairs. As Mary was brought into the nursery, word had spread, even at nap time, and there was now quite a following. Each mother and brother and sister was wanting a glimpse of their newest family member. As the kids passed her around and smiled with excitement, I began to cry. I love to see the love in the room. I just picture God smiling on these scenes of community. These glimpses of heaven that he allows us to have. I hear him in the laughter and see him in their looks.
Tonight during prayer time, Mary was brought to the center. They danced and sang welcome songs to her. They prayed for her and touched her. They loved on her soul. Mary, not knowing what all the noise was about, simply cried. I am sure she was a little confused. I believe we act the same way when we are adopted in God’s family. Why all the hoopla over a special needs child like me? God, why the party? The Answer is always LOVE! Jesus says this one who was lost is now found and there will be great rejoicing back home in Heaven. Mary is home and there is great rejoicing! I pray she grows up and experiences another homecoming, one far greater and filled with even more love. However on a day like today it’s good to get this glimpse. Thank you God!
May you choose2B a storyteller today through your actions and your life!

2 comments:

  1. What a great story Andrew! You see this story started way back in Feb. for me when I first met Mary at St. George...and to think it started so much sooner in God's eyes! WOW! PRAISE HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does take you a long time to tell stories. And normally, if we were at my house enjoying the usual steak/ribs/whatever random food we have left and orange juice (haha) I would say "Andrew! Get on with it." However, I never want these blogs to end. I feel like I am getting a bigger glimpse all the time of what it is like there. AMAZING. Praise God for what he is doing and allowing us to see.

    ReplyDelete