Monday, October 11, 2010

It's Monday

Today started like many of my days here, awaking at an early time. I don't know why my sleeping is so out of whack, but it is. So anyway, I was up early. No power for the last three days, (and we ran out of fuel for the generator) so my cold shower was in the dark. Since it is my last week, I headed over to the center early. The mornings are always a calm time there. The kids move like zombies and are really well behaved when they wake up. Well most people move like zombies at 7am. I waited on the out of center school kids and walked them to school. Walking with them may be one of my favorite things to do. I have gotten over the fact that it is uphill. Most days they want to hold my hand and talk about, well you never know what they want to talk about, but I always enjoy the conversations.

When I got back to the center I started trying to work on fund raising. No luck as the internet just would not cooperate. I gave up after an hour. Next it was time for the staff meeting. I thought our staff meetings were long, but this one was 3 hours. Don't worry I'm not complaining. I loved it, well most of it. I knew it would be the last time I would have a chance to talk to the whole staff all together before I left. I like listening to their ideas and what they believe the problems are. You don't have to be here long to realize how important food is. It is always the main theme of discussion. Today I was humbled in 3 ways during the meeting. First, it is awesome to worship with the staff. Singing with them and lifting praises to God was great. I was thinking about how the whole neighborhood could hear us, but more importantly the kids. They can hear their aunties and uncles singing and praising God. Second, was during prayer time. I love hearing the passion behind their prayers. Hearing them cry out for the children, the organizations, each other, more of God, and then for me. Yeah after I came and spoke to them for a second about being servant leaders they chose to pray for me. Again, I was humbled. Third, was watching them give sacrificially. There is a need in the center that all of the staff felt was important so they each brought money forward to pay for a solution. It wasn't much, but when you think about how little money each one of them has this is huge. I was reminded of Jesus poking the disciples in the ribs when he was watching the old women stick money in the plate at the temple. I had a since of gratitude and thankfulness as I watched them give out of their poverty. Humbled is a good word here too.

After the meeting it was back to solving the worlds problems, well at least if the center is your world. Trying to make the budget balance, figure out what happened to the money, deciding where money is going to come from, figure out who is going to fix the shelves, and a host of other things were on the afternoon schedule. While all this is going on Cari and Jessie are def having a Monday. Jessie is suffering from a headache and Cari's computer is crashing. The kids invade the office and that is not a good thing. So by 3:30 the ladies look as though they are going to pull their hair out. Wait, oh both of them are promising to scream. I decided to take a break and head back to the guesthouse for a little bit of a break. (apologies for changing verb tenses throughout the post today, I am well aware but dont care it makes my writing more fun for me) I was looking forward to having the master power back on and getting a flavor ice from the freezer. Wait no MP and no fuel which still equals nothing and only a little battery life to do work. Blahhhh! It's all good though, I discovered money to nail down October expenses and then it was back to the center. Andrew asks smiling,"Everything better now? Ya'll look happier!"
"No, still the same," they grumble as I head into to Quammi's office to have a discussion about staff. Soon the kids are waking up from their naps and its time to pull them out of our office again. A little soccer and jump rope help you forget all the days troubles.

When I got back to the guesthouse the ladies were stuffing their faces with dinner. "You gotta try this. It's pretty awesome!" And it was. I convinced them to sit the rest of the evening on the porch since it was quite cool tonight as we had a nice breeze. Jessie even had to put on her jacket. Our evening ended as many of them do, with laughter. Thanks to cockroaches, goats, emails, and Jessie's quotes we end the day smiling. It's just the ups and downs of a Monday. Can't wait for tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment