Thursday, September 16, 2010

Can I see the kids menu?

Many times when I take my youth out to eat you can hear that question. I can promise you, you won’t hear it here. If you have been following, you will have read that I will enjoy eating with the kids and staff on most days. They love watching me eat and looking for my reaction. However, I can’t eat that much! The first day they offered me food to try I asked for A LITTLE or SMALL SMALL. I was doing all I could to eat all they put in my bowl. Not because it taste bad, because I like it a lot, but it was a healthy portion.
Eating at the guesthouse has been interesting as well. Abdul is fixing Cari and I dinner each night. I have been trying to retrain my eyes for eating. Although, it may not look appetizing, the food has been great. I can promise you that whatever is fixed for us it will include lots of onions and everything else will also be mixed in it together instead of being separated. As someone who doesn’t like for my food to get together on my plate, it is an adjustment to already see all the other veggies and additives having a party together in the same bowl.
The other day in town I did see my first overweight child. He had a school uniform on so I figure his family is well to do. It may seem strange that they eat so much and don’t get over weight. Granted they are ten times more active than the typical American and we aren’t sitting around playing our video games either. Another thing that may help them is they drink so little. I am doing all I can to stay hydrated. I drink and drink and just sweat it out all day long. My pee still looks like mellow yellow but I am trying Mom! The kids here seem fine without drinking. It is my hope then that I will come home with the African male look, you know, the six pack and all. Just let all the single ladies know it’s coming I can feel it.
So back to the food thing. We have found it is probably what they want the most each day. It’s what they think about. They are hungry! My hope is that I can work with them to change the physical hunger into a spiritual one. Tomorrow I will start my first discipleship class with the older guys. I am anxious to see what comes of it. They have been given a lot of the sweets of the faith, the stuff that really tastes good. I want to give them some protein now, some stuff that will help them grow. I pray God uses me as a vessel for Him. I pray these kids will feast on God’s word. Finally I pray that they will continue to choose 2B hungry forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment