Sunday, September 19, 2010

Championship Game

I know some of you back home have been waiting to hear the results of the final game. So here goes my attempt to bring you what happened.
As soon as nap time was over the stands began to fill up. Aunty Lori FC and Aunty Tina FC received their jerseys, were introduced to the crowd, gathered for the pregame pictures, and then stood at attention as everyone sang the national anthem. Albert, coach of ALFC, gathered his team together for some last minute instructions and a team prayer. As the honorary referee, I was a little nervous after hearing we would be playing 35 minute halves. 35 minutes is a long time to keep these kids from hurting each other. Besides determining what is a foul and what is not is really hard here, but I had my cards ready and off we went. It didn’t take long for ATFC to get on top. A shot from long range snuck under Sori in goal and it was 1-0. The crowd stormed the field and it took awhile for the ref to regain control. Before you could blink, ATFC had put another in this time on a rebound. At the 26 minute mark the lead grew to 3-0 for ATFC on a goal by Ibrahim Shareef. However, just before halftime ALTC put one on the board to make it 3-1 at the break. As the coaches gathered their teams it began to rain. The rain made for a slippery and sloppy second half. 5 minutes in Tina FC looked to have sealed the game on another goal from Shareef. 30 seconds later, Sawaju scored to make it 4-2. The game stayed this way until the last 5 minutes when a goal by ALFC was controversially disallowed by the referee for being too high. The final whistle blew with Aunty Tina FC taking home the trophy. Sawaju was named most valuable player for the entire tournament. There were also no cards issued during the final game, I am happy to say.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I have to say it sounds like it was a great game anyway. ALFC you all rock in my book. I wish I would have been there to cheer you on! My love to all of you,
    Auntie Lori

    ReplyDelete