Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Student

It’s now been two weeks since I arrived in Sierra Leone. So, I thought I would fill you in on some things I have learned.
The rainy season means it rains, even if it is coming to an end. 2. Anything that can collect moisture will be damp, clothes, sheets, skin, etc. 3. It is hot here even if you see half the people bundled up in full winter jackets every day. 4. I am white. 5. I will be called white man every time I am in public at the market and I will drive up the prices. 6. I do not like shopping at the market. Too many people! 7. I really like socks. I did not know this before, but they are the controlling factor to good days and bad days. 8. Socks take a long time to dry when it rains every day! 9. There is no since of time here. People move at their own speed, slow. I have put up clocks around the center in hopes of improving our time management. 10. I love the breeze. I wish it would blow more. 11. The sunset is incredible every night! 12. Showering with a bucket and a cup isn’t that bad. 13. Abdul’s banana bread is amazing! 14. The fruit here is delicious. 15. Peacocks are not just loud at the zoo. They are loud if your neighbor has them too. 16. It’s not considered a meal unless you have rice. 17. Water that comes in plastic bags, creates more trash. 18. Trash is everywhere! 19. Taking a picture and showing them is a good way to break the ice. 20. No matter how you feel or how you slept the answer is always “fine!” 21. I can make a room full of women laugh at me no matter what continent! The caregivers love that. 22. Electricity comes and goes. Sierra Leone just got it last year, and there is no guarantee it will be on. Even if it is on there is no telling whether the switch will work either. 23. Naptime every afternoon at the center is wonderful. I wanna take them, and it gives us old folks a time to breathe. 24. Pastor Daniel is amazing with our kids! 25. Mohammed does look like Eddie George. 26. I am not as bad as I thought at reading books to kids. Or at least they keep bringing them to me and asking me to read to them. 27. I am going to be good at jumping rope by the time I leave. 28. I still have a little game on the soccer field. 29. Prayer time at night is my favorite time. 30. It apparently is a requirement to know how to play the jimbay. 31. I do not have as much rhythm as I thought. 32. I enjoy learning new songs and teaching new songs. 33. I love it when they teach me a song and I know it or when I teach them and they know it. 34. Lucy makes me smile. She is aware of when people are speaking to her and tries her best to speak back. 35. I never liked nurseries until now. 36 It is OK to leave each day with spit and slobber all over your shirt from the little ones. 37. The kids are excited about learning. 38. God’s spirit shines through each of the kids in their smiles, laughs, hugs, and tears. 39. God is using me in ways I didn’t expect. 40. God is good all the time. I feel His presence when I wake up and when I go to sleep. I notice Him when I am happy and when I am frustrated I hear Him laughing at me. 41. I am so thankful for the opportunity to come and learn. I pray God will continue to use TRS, The Covering, and all those I meet to teach me more and more about Him, His Love for all people, His love for me, and how we can change the life of the orphan!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your continual updates Andrew! We are the family who sponsors and hopes to adopt Lucy. Every day you give us a glimpse into her world and the world of the other kids I fell so in love with when I was there last Feb! The details are great and like a drink of cold water on a hot summer's day! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. Basically I have to choose the right time to read your blogs because they always bring me laughter, sometimes tears, but almost always they make me want to jump on a plane and head right over. This is why I must pick a time to read them during the day when I'm feeling the most "level headed." Which I am finding that these moments are becoming far and few between lately. So now I just read them whenever, and then pace back and forth for a bit until I calm down. You know how it is. I love you so much. :). I can't wait to meet these kids and play the djembe with them!!!

    ReplyDelete